Friday, April 10, 2009

ADDENDUM

I'd like to state that OK fine I do like some of the things that came out of the 80's.

A couple of my siblings came from the 80's - I like them. Now.

I liked some of the movies.

But mostly, aggggghhhh, I'm spewing.

And when it comes to all that pop music. . . more spewing.

I think I inherited this trait from Squishy. One time she told me that for a while she hated the 50's and I was all, "What?! Who doesn't like the 50's? They were cool to the max!" But then I did the math and figured out she was born in...well I won't say, but I suspect that's what contributed to her decision to nix a whole decade.

'Course the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. It just took a couple of decades to do it.

But then...

When I requested upbeat music to crawl to on the 18th, LP suggested Let the River Run and I was like, "How could I have forgotten that?"

And with that acknowledgement the flood gates in my memory bank were opened.

I DID like some 80's music.

9 to 5

My Baby Takes the Morning Train

Air Supply (I totally remember Squishy's record album with their faces sketched on the cover with pastel pencils)

Peter Gabriel. . . and who doesn't just love his slick Down to the Earth on WALL-E?

I digress.

Dan Fogelberg

Genesis

Queen

Cure

Boston

U2

Yeah - I wasn't so bourgeois as to like Wham! or ZZtop.

I was a toddler with refined musical taste.

And don't bother leaving a long comment of the 80's musicians you adored and whos hairstyles you emulated. I am so fully aware that this list could go on and on.

I'd also add Video Killed the Radio Star to the list but technically it was released in 1979.

I also haven't even mentioned musical theater...but who can honestly run to Phantom? If you just said yes you're crazy.

SO, I retract my former statement about not liking the 80's as a decade.

I've been getting subtle grief from Mr. Right.

Who, by the way, thrives off the 80's to this day. It was only when The Princess was born that he would stop pegging his acid washed jeans.

Let the subtle grief end now . . . forever.

And because I love all of you and want you to continue contributing songs for my crawl (HELLO siblings of the 80's why haven't you commented yet? You are the musical gurus I've put on a pedestal to keep me current!) I leave you with an 80's statesman...Peter Gabriel.