A Utah ward Christmas party.
I've never been to one before and truthfully I was thrilled to see with my own eyes 14 different kinds of cottage cheese-Cool whip salads. I was hoping it would be something like that. In fact the whole (2 minute) drive to the church I was giggling so loudly with anticipation that the little bugs couldn't hear Nat King Cole sing Mrs. Claus...which by the way is a classic.
When I arrived and weaved my way amongst all the strange faces (because they're strangers to me) there they were. 14 pastel colored creamy lumpy salads in 14 pretty bowls. I put some of each on three different plates. One of the perks of having little bugs is you can be a pig and not look like one.
The after dinner activities were geared toward the families. At least I assume they were because in my mind listening to a recorded version of Polar Express and watching an Elf turn the pages; or coloring a picture of Santa aren't what I would expect to see at a single adult party. Then there were the cookies to frost, the cocoa to drink, the bubble-gum advent strings to wrap in plastic wrap and all those salads to eat.
I was very happy. I love my friends.
Thank you butterfly.
Here is that same little boy getting me to open his candy cane.
Here is The Princess telling the little boy to not get so distracted because his candy cane is now open.
Here is The Pixie after she went on her own, unknown to the rest of us, and sat on Santa's lap.
Here is The Pirate avoiding Mrs. Claus - despite his love of the song.
Here is The Pirate with Mrs. Claus after she showed him the candy cane.