Yes.
So I'm not a sheep anymore.
Well Avery, if Christ is the shepherd, than you can be one of his sheep. But you are also a jewel in a crown.
Contemplative silence, "Uhm...No. No. I'm not a sheep anymore. I'm a jewel."
_________________________________________________
This morning as The Princess came down the stairs I was going up them . She took the opportunity to inform me, "So I asked Dad to bow to me and he did, so I guess you don't have to anymore." I concede I hadn't been aware I was obliged to bow. But now that I knew I took issue with it.
"Avery, child, I am The Queen, I should not have to bow to the princess."
"Yes mom, but sometimes I am The Queen."
"You are?"
"Yes. Sometimes we have to switch things around."
I was decidedly uncomfortable with this shift in power. "No Avery child. I think not."
Now The Princess has a truly royal inheritance she got from her father. She can see the silver lining on any cloud. If her pink plate is dirty that's OK because after all the green plate "is the color of spring, and I am the spring fairy." So when I informed her that I would never be princess to her queen she was unbothered and it took her only two seconds to find the silver lining:
"Well, I don't really want to be The Queen, because The Queen has a lot of chores," She said this with a sidelong glance at me as I was sweeping up "snow" a.k.a. the salt Tenley and Tobin were playing with, "and anyway, Dad can still bow to me as The Princess."
I quietly finished sweeping and let her think she had the bigger piece of cake, but what she doesn't know is that The Queen gets to eat a whole bag of almond Hershey Kisses while The Princess is in quiet time. And what The Princess doesn't know is called The Queen's perogative.